IDM hosts orientation for First Year students

Thursday, August 10, 2023 - 09:00

The Institute of Development Management (IDM) hosted scores of students at Gaborone and Francistown Campuses on the 7th and 10th August 2023 for their Freshman orientation day.
The two events marked a new chapter for the visibly excited students who have embarked on a new journey of their tertiary life with IDM. The Freshman orientation day provides students the platform to appreciate vital information about the Institute’s academic policies and procedures. They also get the opportunity to meet different stakeholders to appreciate services offered to enhance their learning experience during their time of study.
Giving students a word of encouragement, IDM Country Director, Dr. Theophilus Mooko thanked them for choosing IDM as their trusted partner, and promised that as they redefine their new journey, the Institute will walk with them and help them honor their decision. Dr Mooko challenged students to take up the new responsibility of owning their lives and decisions as they step into a new page away from home.
“This is the journey that is going to redefine your destiny, your new phase of life has begun.  This is a place where you meet new friends, so don’t take it as a light thing. This is a decision that compels us to live up to your expectations and honor them. So we want to pledge and commit to yourselves that your expectations will be met,” declared Dr Mooko, underscoring the fact that students can expect a ‘refreshing learning experience’ at IDM.
Dr Mooko informed students that back in the days there were many job opportunities for graduating students, and that time has changed, challenging them to find self-growth both socially and professionally to confront the challenging times.
“Remember that you are not just a citizen of Botswana, you are also a global citizen. Grow your ambition and purpose. Learn to interact not only with local networks, but also globally. Develop your entrepreneurial skills as well, you may choose to become an employer in the future.”
The Assistant Director, Academic Services, Bakani Thothe spoke to students on a wide range of academic services provided by IDM, and the expectations required from them during their time of study. He advised them of the need to embrace the new change of making their own decisions. “There is a big change in your lives, you used to live and work under close supervision and monitoring. You are now moving into a new phase where there’s freedom and independence. Whilst IDM is there to see you through, you need to embrace self-management to cope with this new phase,” he said.
According to the Acting Assistant Director, Learner Support Chris Moiketsi, the new change can be challenging and overwhelming, hence students need to understand the expectations of the new environment and build new and valuable relationships. He emphasized the importance of student orientation and how it is crucial for them to navigate their way through tertiary education life.
For his part, Francistown Campus Manager, Mr Elijah Moakofhi emphasized on class attendance. “Make sure you attend at least 80% of your classes in order to qualify for examinations. This will reduce chances of failing.”
While majority of students are Government-sponsored, IDM also hosts self-sponsored students. As a result, Finance Manager, Mr Gaolaolwe Pansiri gave a brief highlight on financial management. “Self-sponsored students are required to pay tuition either in full or 40 percent in order to register while the remaining 60% can be paid in two installments during the remaining period of the semester. No student is allowed to write exams while they still have arrears for the semester,” he elaborated.
A representative from the Department of Tertiary Education Financing took students through the contract they signed with the Government to understand their responsibilities throughout the time of study.
At the end of the formal presentations, students were invited to visit different stalls of service providers who came to showcase their products and how they can benefit students. These included: Botswana Police Service; Men & Boys for Gender Equality; Botswana National Blood Transfusion Centre; Varlor Mental Health Foundation; Humana People for People; Botswana Society for the Disabled; Botswana Association for the Blind and Partially Sighted, Botswana Telecommunications Corporation; Doctor’s Aid; FNB; Tebelopele Voluntary Testing and Counseling Centre; and Home Corp.