Course Objective: The Accounting qualification is aligned to the needs of the economy and business hence fulfilling the different ideologies and values influencing the direction of economic policies and how to best make use of the country’s scarce resources. Therefore, the purpose of this qualification is intended to develop the necessary financial skills, knowledge and attitudes in the learners to enable them to perform their financial responsibilities such as reporting, analysis, valuations, and problem solving effectively, efficiently and professionally.
Upon completion of this programme, leaners will be able to:
1. Prepare and interpret financial statements.
2. Analyse and evaluate financial statements and prepare annual tax returns in line with applicable company’s act and income tax act.
3. Evaluate the impact of the business environment in the financial management of an entity.
4. Demonstrate research and analytical skills by identifying and analysing critical data in a given complex situation.
5. Apply relevant management accounting techniques to aid decision making
6.Apply audit principles in conducting audit assignment
7. Apply advanced and critical financial management principles and techniques to specific problems and situations
The qualification will also facilitate professional registration with BICA or other professional bodies on successful completion.
Graduates of this qualification can be absorbed as Financial Accountants, Cost Accountants, External Auditors, Tax Accountants, Treasury Accountants, Bankers, and Consultants etc.
1.BGCSE or equivalent with 36 points (best 6 subjects), including credit in Mathematics and pass in English.
Certificate in Accounting and Business Studies or a related discipline from a recognized and accredited institution with a minimum five years’ working experience are admitted for entry at year 1 semester 2.
2.Diploma in Accounting and Business Studies/ Diploma in Public Sector Management /Recognized
Accounting Technician Qualification or other recognized professional accounting qualifications from a recognized and accredited institution with a relevant working experience may be admitted for entry at year 3.
3.Learners who do not meet the above requirements may be considered in terms of IDM Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Regulations.